Sunday, July 5, 2009

Unofficially Diagnosed

There needs to be a rewards program at the ER. Maybe just a priority card that you could flash the front desk staff so they wouldn't make you wait in the waiting room with the weirdo's who all want to stare at you and wonder what kind of abuse you have inflicted on this little kid who is laying limp, gasping for air.  

Is it surprising to anyone I was back in the ER tonight? Not to me. I knew this morning when Tal started wheezing I would be making a trip sometime today. I thought maybe if I did everything I was already planning on doing, his noisy airways would settle down. Instead they got worse. His oxygen level was 96% when I took him in, which is not bad at all so I told him to stop faking. But the poor little guys stomach was caving in when he took a breath signaling he was really struggling to breathe, and he was breathing extra fast. 

He got his energy boost (steroids), a breathing treatment (with oxygen...(aka-the good stuff)), and 2 chest x-rays. Is it sad that Tal knows how to successfully pull off 2 chest x-rays on the first time. Bet your 2 year old can't.  (chest x-ray was clear by the way)

There were a few good things that came out of this visit though. I added another mask to the nebulizer collection (this helps me keep track of how many times I've taken Tal to the ER for wheezing), I stole some sort of sleeve bag (I know...it's a problem) which I'm baffled on what its used for, and Tal has  been unofficially diagnosed with asthma. I guess when you go the the ER for uncontrollable wheezing 4 times in 3 months, they start to realize it is excessive and there is probably an underlying issue. Way to use your medical knowledge doc's! But, the problem is they can't diagnose him there, he has to see his doctor who is booked at least 6 months in advance so she can decide if she wants to diagnose him, and if so, get a plan of action together so I can hopefully avoid the ER. Okay, maybe those aren't great things in general, but they are helpful to lower my stress and frustration level, which makes my life, and theirs easier. 

1 comment:

shamers said...

pulmonologist, baby. do you need a referral to see a specialist? we visited the pulmo doc ONE TIME and he had her under control. she had one attack after her hospital visit, they sent us to the pulmonologist, and he fixed her. not a wheeze in about 8 months, even with colds (which usually set her off). get thee to the pulmonologist!