Diagnosis: Asthma
About an hour after my last post I took Tal back to the ER because he was struggling for breath worse than the first time I took him in. I even said, "Talan, do you need to go see the doctor again?", and he took out his binki and said "yes".
That "yes" resulted in a 2 day stay in a small room for 23 and 3/4 hours a day hooked up to an oxygen sensor that had a very loud alarm that went off when Tal's oxygen level got too low. The first night it was going off every couple minutes. Gradually his oxygen levels got better when he was awake, but were still dropping when he slept. On Monday night the nurse wanted to put a cannula on him (the oxygen that has the 2 little tubes that go up your nose), but his oxygen levels were okay so I asked her to wait. 4 am I was woken by the very loud alarm and the nurses rushing in with this stupid cannula. I held Tal's hands and it took 2 nurses to get this on. After they left I told Talan I would let his hands go if he promised not to tough his nose tube...he shook his head yes. I let him go and he just laid there, staring at the ceiling with a glare on his face. I said, "Talan, are you mad?" In almost a little roar he said, "YES". Poor kid!
It wasn't until tuesday that he took a nap without oxygen, and while his levels were not perfect, the doctor said he could go home somewhat reluctantly. Not fun, but we managed. I also learned from Dr. Peacock that Talan had a flat diaphram on his chest X-ray meaning he has had asthma for a while and it has gone untreated. Hmmmmm....no kidding!
Talan sometimes does not want his picture taken. He kept shouting "NO" at me. But I had to capture the cuteness that is his hospital gown.
He still managed to sneak into my purse and bring me all the thing he wasn't supposed to have...like pennies. (The stickers on his cheeks are from his nose oxygen tubes. He wouldn't take them off)
We found out the hospital bed when at the right angle makes for great car racing!
He slept fairly well in the hospital considering he doesn't sleep when we aren't at home.
No big deal. Just something new to add to our list of ailments.
1 comment:
it is a big deal. at least now they'll take you seriously, and you can say with authority, "HE HAS ASTHMA. TREAT HIM."
when you come out here we'll take field trips to the pulmonologist together. :)
(btw, two houses available on our street. one across the street is for rent, one nextdoor foreclosed yesterday....)
Post a Comment