In case you didn't know, and since it is an important fact for this particular blog post, Ashton was born tongue tied. I didn't know it, and no doctors ever said anything to me. It wasn't until he was 4 that I made this discovery. I was watching A Baby Story on TLC, and a woman had a baby who was tongue tied. She explained what that term meant, and that she had taken her baby to get the tongue tie clipped days after birth. From that point until now, 2 years later, I have talked endlessly to the military doctors about getting it fixed. Military doctors, I've found, don't really like to do much of anything. They brushed me off, mostly because he didn't have any speech problems.
Once we moved to Kansas and live too far from a base to go for military care, we found our own doctors. Finally a civillian! As soon as I mentioned his tongue-tie I was refered to an ear, nose, throat dr. He said it wasn't that bad, but it was bad enough to do something about. 3 months later the procedure is complete. Ashton did excellent, and I think I was more nervous than he was. The doctor numbed him up with a cotton ball, gave him a shot of more numbing medication and snipped away. Ashton can now stick his tongue out of his mouth. He doesn't know how to stick it straight out yet, and he says it feels weird, but he's thinks it is the coolest thing ever. On the way to the car after the procedure he had his tongue hanging out of his mouth the entire way.
(this first picture will also give you a good look at another one of my freak outs. Look at the size of that tooth coming in on the bottom. It is taking up 2 spots. How are 2 teeth supposed to fit? Its completely freaking me out.)
No comments:
Post a Comment