Thursday, August 14, 2008

Paging Dr. Mante

I walked into the Cotton O-neil Clinic where Talan was about to go through the trama of drawing blood out of his fat little arm. The place reeked of needles. I can say in confidence he was the only person younger than 25. We checked in and I filled out paperwork that didn't really have questions pertaining to a baby allergy, but I went with the flow. Talan walked around a bit, looked at the fishies then he saw the most amazing thing. A little old man pushing his little old wife in a wheelchair. They were sitting in the same waiting room and as soon as Talan locked eyes with that wheelchair he knew he had to push that thing. He dropped on his hands and knees and was on his way to push this amazing thing. He even lowered his head to cut out wind resistance. Sadly, he was stopped just short of an arm reach and I spent the next 15 minutes trying to keep him away from pushing a 90 year old woman down the hall and into a wall. Mission successful. 

Then it was our turn. 

The allergist was Dr. Mante. Judging by his accent I think he was from Zimbabwe. It was an amazing accent. Talan played on the floor while I explained the peanut situation. The Dr. was really surprised that he had had such a reaction to the nuts at such a young age, and looked at me in shock when I said that I have never given him anything with nuts knowingly. He had tons of questions for me and actually listened and wrote down everything I said. Dr. Mante said if he would have seen Talan as a young baby with his eczema he would have told me that because of
 his eczema he has a higher chance of allergies and we are well on our way to asthma. No eggs
 until 2 years old, if it doesn't walk on the land he can't have it until he is 3...and no nuts until he is 3. That would have been nice to have been told that one of the many trips I made to Ft. Belvoir to remedy this eczema problem. 

So, Talan is on a strict diet since he is now high risk due to having BOTH eczema and the peanut allergy...
no processed food, no nuts or foods that have been manufactured in the same factory as nuts, and no adult food. If it doesn't come from the baby isle it is off limits until he is 2. I told Dr.
 Mante that he eats ALOT! A gerber graduates meal is pretty much a snack for the 24.5 pound chunk-ball. 

He didn't have to get blood drawn. The dr said that he doesnt want to do the testing until it has been 3-4 weeks from the allergic reaction. So, I am now mentally preparing myself for Sept. 4th when we have to go see Dr. Mante again. He is going to take blood and do 1 skin prick with the
 peanuts. 

We were probably in the room talking to him for 45 minutes at least. He didn't act rushed or annoyed when he had to explain things more than a couple times. And he trained me with the epipen. (Talan didnt like it and it didn't even have the needle. Dr. Mante said, "he's going to cry...just ignore him.") Hopefully we wont ever have to use it. 

I also found out a piece of information about myself. Yesterday the idiot pediatrician said Talan probably got his eczema from me. When I retaliated with I don't have eczema, she said "yes you do. That is why your eyelids are flakey like that." I'm pretty sure she won the award for best
 bed-side manner. Anyway, Dr. Mante was talking about getting Talan a medical ID bracelet but said that the metal would irritate his eczema. My sister-in-law turned to me and said that was probably why I couldn't wear my wedding rings. Click. Light Bulb ON. So my georgeous black titanium ring is out since he said titanium could irritate eczema as well. I guess next time you see me I'll be sporting a tattoo on my ring finger. 

1 comment:

Jessi said...

Well I'm glad that all the doctors in Topeka don't suck! David knows the person who is Dr. Conroy's boss and he said he'd give you his contact info if you want to report what an idiot she was...