Talan is a little over half way to four and that means the world of sports is opening up to him. Today was his first day of soccer (on a basketball court....welcome to Kansas), and for the next six weeks we will drive 20 minutes every Saturday morning to watch him run and kick.
I had high hopes. Talan seems to be my more athletic child and loves playing soccer. I, however, did not take into account his Talan sized attitude. We talked all the way to the community center about how I would sit on the bleachers and watch him, but he got to do all the fun running and kicking stuff. When we got there he ran straight on the court with his little ball and was so excited to be making goals. Its much easier without a goalie and other three year olds standing in the way. Then class actually started, and I suddenly had a Talan attached to me who would not let go, wanting nothing to do with soccer.
Finally, I offered up a prize for his participation. A trip to the dollar store after practice to pick out a balloon. He agreed, but only if I also gave him a cookie. That started a game of: if you offer Talan a prize, he will negotiate a better one.) At this point he stands with the other kids and the coach offered him a turn to dribble the ball. When Talan reached for the ball with his hands, his coach very nicely said, "can you try using your feet to dribble?" I just waited, because I knew what was coming next. Talan dropped to his knees and put on his best pouting face offering no response to his coaches encouragement.
To add to his dislike, he has now realized his photograph was being taken.
I reminded Talan of his super awesome balloon and cookie waiting for him if he went with his class. He thought about it and said, "but now I just want four balloons and just one cookie." The ante had been raised. After I agreed, because even though I am aware it makes no sense, $4 at the dollar store is worth it to get my $26 worth of soccer, he went to join his class again.
He actually did pretty well with the participation after that until have way through the scrimmage. He decided he was done and gave the best poses that I find Talan in often, that truely capture his Talatude.
Hopefully next week is better.
3 comments:
Ok, those are the cutest pictures ever. I love your sense of humor about it all. Most parents get all bent out of shape about this stuff.
haha. OH rebecca! Thank you for capturing this moment! Good luck next week!
ditto to the above. more reasons on why you are the coolest mom ever!
Post a Comment