Wednesday, May 14, 2008

FREE THE TOES!

My mom had an interesting story for me a few weeks ago. She said she was at Starbuck (apparently she is way too cool to make the 's' sound at the end) and she saw a guy sitting outside. She happened to look at his feet which he had propped up on a chair and it looked like they were completely covered in mud. As she got closer she realized he was not covered in mud and he just had on weird shoes. She talked to him for a bit and then decided "Rebecca would love those shoes."

As soon as she explained what these shoes looked like, I knew before I had ever seen a pair that I NEEDED them. That was on a sunday. On monday Brad and I drove to Rockville, MD to see these wonderful creations.

A little backstory before I unveil...I grew up in Huntington Beach, CA. I pretty much grew up barefoot. I would run all around outside around the neighborhood without shoes. Unless we were going in a store I didnt have shoes on. I really hate wearing shoes. I like my toes to have freedom. When my family moved to Kansas people would look at me like I was from mars when I would wear flip flops in december, or to any activity where flip flops might not be the best choice.
My previous running shoes were the Nike AirRift. They have since stopped making them with the quality of the ones I had so I held on to mine for 2 years because I hadnt found another pair of shoes that came close. They were designed after runners in Kenya and just had the big toe seperated from all the other toes, and a velcro strap to replace laces. I wore flip flops all the time so it felt comfortable to have something in between my toes.





My new shoes are very much like the AirRift shoes only each toe has its own compartment. Like a glove for my foot. They are called Vibram Fivefingers. I can stretch my toes, curl them do everything like I wasnt wearing shoes. They protect my feet from glass, nails, or any other something I would not like to step on but also allow me to feel everything like I was barefoot. The day after I got them I was taking Ashton to the bus stop and we ran down the alley. I was surprised to feel every rock and every stick beneath my foot.














So these are my new babies! They rarely leave my feet.

3 comments:

M said...

I can't wait to see those on you.
I love how your mom calls it starbuck.
Hey, I saw you at the park the other day, but you were doing something with Ashton's t-ball team, so I didn't bother you. It looked that you were enjoying yourselves.

shamers said...

i met these shoes last weekend! i had like a 45-minute conversation with the guy who was wearing them. love them!

Julie said...

Those totally freak me out!