I just wanted to look at the cool rooms at the Designer Showhouse to gain some sort of crafting inspiration with my favorite crafting partner. However, there was a bit of a traumatizing experience upon completion of our tour of the first house which led me to ask, 'did that just happen?!'
Because of this experience I have compiled a list of 7 things which are NOT acceptable to say to both a complete stranger, and also someone who is 9 months pregnant and practically miserable.
NEVER:
1. Point at the pregnant person's stomach and say, "Good luck with that." If you just stop at 'good luck' its a nice comment and something that is acceptable to say to someone you do not know. Adding 'with that' to the end of the comment makes it seem as though I have a life altering problem that she is glad to not be a part of. I personally am growing a fetus, or baby, or child, not "that".
2. Tell a pregnant person a story about your friend whose baby died 2 weeks before she was to be born. As if I don't have enough to deal with, lets add paranoia of everything that could go wrong enter my brain.
3. Act as if my life is over because I'm having another boy. Sure I would have enjoyed having a girl, if only to do her hair and shop with her. The fact of it is, I enjoy shopping by myself, and I can barely keep Talan's chicken hair under control. We were given a baby who happens to be a boy and we couldn't be more thrilled about that.
4. Gloat that your third baby was a girl. That's awesome. See comment three. I'm sure she finds you insanely embarrassing.
5. When I am waddling around, barely able to breathe, having all sorts of contractions all the time, and a baby is head-butting my bladder as I walk past several bathrooms labeled 'please do not use'...basically when I'm in my misery mode...do not recommend a book to me aimed at achieving the desired gender of your next baby. As if I even want to consider being pregnant again right at this moment in my life.
6. I can not stress this one enough! It is bad enough to recommend the book stated in comment 5, but do not feel as if you need to go into further detail of what is stated in the book and use words such as: ovulation, conceive, and sperm. On that note, I did not ask, nor do I want to know when you ovulated and conceived your own children. Gross!
7. This is just for anyone in general, not only when encountering a pregnant stranger. If someone is walking out the door, and starting to hobble down the stairs, not making any eye contact with you, it probably means they are trying to leave, and do not wish to engage in a family planning discussion with you. Let them leave.
Thank you.
Weekly Wrap-up July 11th, 2026
1 week ago
3 comments:
OH MY GOSH! You should send this to the Topeka newspaper, along with this lady's name. She needs to be called out and stopped!
Ahhh!! That's awful! I don't know what else to say. What happened to you is so baffling.
love this list! So true! And may I add, Do not tell a pregnant woman "Whoa you look like you are about to pop!" I hated that.
Post a Comment