Meet the newest member of the BRAT......or should I say BRATS clan.
Syphr Pre Coates
7lbs 13oz
20 inches long
12:50 PM

We're so happy Syphr is here and healthy, and Brad was able to make it back for the birth. Syphr and I are trying to figure each other out, but we're both doing great!
20 inches long
12:50 PM
We're so happy Syphr is here and healthy, and Brad was able to make it back for the birth. Syphr and I are trying to figure each other out, but we're both doing great!
Its no secret we've kept his name under wraps until now. Mostly because we were trying to avoid unwanted opinions and figured we would get more than a handful for this one! We've already been asked several times so here it goes:
How Syphr came about:
Brad and I had a small list of a few names we liked, but didnt know if we loved. There's that feeling of 'yeah, thats it' when you find the perfect name. We would spend a week calling the baby by each name on the list and while we liked them (except Ashton...he pretty much hated all of them, but would give no suggestions of his own), none seemed perfect for the little guy, yet not being able to think of anything else, and my exhaustion of baby name books and websites we hung onto them as a back up.
Around my third trimester Brad and I were well into watching all seasons of 24. We always joked about naming the baby Jack Bauer because, if you haven't heard, Jack Bauer is pretty much awesome, and indestructable. Dare I say he could probably take on Chuck Norris. As awesome as he is Jack is way too popular for my taste. I vowed not to name my kids the trendy names of the decade.
Shortly after we started season 2 of another show we both love called Legend of the Seeker. We joked that the main character, Richard Cypher, is like the Jack Bauer of the midlands. As soon as that was said we looked at each other and said, "how about Syphr?" Just had to change the spelling a bit. Ashton hated it at first, but agreed to call the baby Syphr for a week. After the first day of calling him Syphr I knew we had it. That perfect name feeling.
Pronunciation: Sigh-fer
How Pre came about:
Steve Prefontaine. A phenominal runner who set amazing records. He ran for the University of Oregon from 1970-1973, but was sadly killed in a car accident in 1975. If he was still alive, he would be the greatest runner in the world today, no doubt. The movie about his life is a favorite of ours, and even Ashton's when he was younger. I highly recommend it!
Anyway, Brad has always pushed to name a kid Prefontaine. It turned out to be a no go with Talan. This time around we shortened the name to be either Pre or Fontaine. We started calling the baby Pre, and both really liked it. I could just think of too many ways he would be made fun of with a name like that. Hence, it is his middle name. I'm sure you'll find us calling him Pre though.
So far I've had three kids for half a day and it is fantastic. That being said, I'm still laying in bed, my food is brought to me whenever I want, and I'm not required to look fashionable. Once that changes, and I return home to the total chaos that is my other two children, I might have a different outlook. I will enjoy these next couple days of quiet before my incredibly busy week continues.
Ashton loves his new baby brother. He is already the most fantastic big brother there is, and hopefully some of that awesomeness has rubbed of on moody Talan. He is constantly requesting to hold his new little brother, and we caught him (below) singing Rock-a-bye Baby as he rocked little Syphr in the rocking chair. Too sweet.
Talan was a little freaked out by Syphr. We talked several times about the day that Syphr would come out of my tummy, but that has to be hard to grasp as a 2 year old. He just kept staring at him, and wasn't sure he wanted to touch him until he saw Ashton hold him. Then I guess it wasn't so scary. He is very sweet with his new brother gently touching his hands and head, and Syphr even got a few kisses which means you are in good graces with Talan.
11 comments:
congratulations! super cute and tender. can't wait to meet him. :)
im gonna have to say that Talan is very close to Jack Bauring the baby :) very cute!
Awesome story, love the family pic-your family is beautiful! Congrats!
Congratuations! He is adorable!
Love it! Congrats and liet me know if I can do anything to help :)
Congrats! He is so cute, can't wait to meet the little fellow!
YAY! He is SO CUTE! I love that family picture. I love the story of his name!
I love the family picture! Congratulations!
Congrats on another handsome boy and I love how you guys go for the unusual names, too :)
Congratulations! He is so cute and I love his name. It is so unique. Glad you are all doing well
Yea! Congrats, I'm sorry I didn't make it to the hospital! He's adorable!
Post a Comment