Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Another lovely day

As if yesterday wasn't crappy enough. Today I spent the evening in the emergency room. Boys will be boys. We were having dinner at Quiznos. Got to love the $5 large subs. Anyway, we were just done eating and Ashton wanted to entertain his brother. He started hopping from one side of Talan's highchair to the other and Talan thought it was hilarious. This just made Ashton want to go faster and be louder to make Talan laugh even harder. I should have known what was coming next. Ashton apparently was acting like a chicken while hopping back and forth and slipped and hit his face on a chair. He screamed like someone was killing him and then began crying hysterically. I was surprisingly calm since he IS the most dramatic kid ever. Then I turned around and saw Brad carrying him to the bathroom and heard something along the lines of bleeding face. So I get Talan and go in the bathroom...Brad turns around and says, "he's going to need stitches." I go out and ask the Quiznos people to call an ambulance and they just stare at me. (they were not from this country and had no idea what I was saying) This nice girl turns around in line and says "I will call 911...they don't even know what you're saying" 

The paramedics get there and by that time Brad has a paper towel pressed up to Ashton's head and the bleeding as well as Ashton's crying is controlled. The paramedics bandage him up and give us the choice to ride in the ambulance or drive our self. Ashton opted for the ambulance. After the Dr's looked at his head they decided that instead of stitches he was the perfect candidate for super glue. One nurse came in and cleaned his cut out with saline which by the looks of Ashton's face stung horribly....but he didn't cry. He always tries to be really strong around other people. He barely cried when he got his staples in, but it wasn't hysterical crying and he kept perfectly still. Then the Dr came in and cleaned his wound with soap which almost made him cry but he stayed strong. Why can't he be this tough all the time. Anyway, he is glued back together. 

This is Ashton's third visit to the emergency room. The first was when he was about 11 months old...he opened the broiler door while the broiler was on and stuck his hand on the inside of the door. Second time was just after he turned 5...he was doing ninja moves at Omaha Steaks and fell and hit his head on the table. That resulted in  5 staples to the back of the head. I'm hoping this is the third and final time for a while. 

Later Brad said that when he had Ashton in the bathroom he said "well, so much for the entertainment" ha ha. Leave it to Ashton to say something 
funny. 

1 comment:

shamers said...

well, it turned out well, so i think monday was still worse. :) glad ashton survived!