Ashton is gracing 6th grade with his presence this year. His official last year before he heads to the craziness of middle school. He won't admit it, but he was really excited. Even though he tries really hard to keep his joyous outbursts contained, I could tell he was ready to go back. St. George has mixed grades, so his homeroom is made up of 5th and 6th graders. He has the same most excellent homeroom teacher, Mrs. Carlson, and all the same kids that were in 5th grade last year in his class. The 7th graders moved on, and some new 5th graders moved in.
I don't know what to do with this kid most of the time, but I do know to expect that I'm going to have to take several 'Ashton style' pictures before he can be expected to be any form of serious. I hope he always has this personality. He keeps us entertained. So, here is the big time 6th grader:
Once we got to school I told the boys I wanted to take their photo out front. I knew as soon as we walked in the front doors Ashton would sneak away as fast as he could. I was hoping for smiles, but I'll take what I can get.
The last glimpse of the big kid as he makes his way down the hall. By this time we had walked through the front doors, and if he knew I took this photo he might have died of embarrassment.
Talan is a big time Kindergartner again this year. He is so much more mature, and while I'm still glad we sent him last year, he is absolutely ready this time around. His teacher is Mrs. Beam, Talan thinks she is beautiful, and she just might be the absolute best fit for him as a teacher. His preschool teacher once described him as having such a big personality in such a little body. I think that is spot on. He is going to be great this year at an incredibly fantastic school that has made the decision to go nut free starting this year. A sigh of relief, and less worry for me, and a less outcasting school experience for Talan.
Talan also shares Ashton's issue of having to take a series of silly pictures before he can be expected to smile.
Syphr was not pleased that summer came to an end. He pouted on the walk back to the car, all the way home, and for a while once home. Once he came out of his pouting mood, he made a microphone out of a plastic golf club handle, and a fox finger puppet. I was supposed to sing about the fox jumping. Apparently my made up song was not on the same level of creativity and awesomeness that Ashton usually provides, so pout mode was reactivated once more.
Syphr was overjoyed when his brothers came home. He made them play an entire days worth of games in 3 hours, and was glued to Ashton for the entire night. The next morning he learned there was more than 1 day of school. Poor guy.
We are 6 days into school so far, and all is well. Ashton loves to learn, and the school loves to teach, so he is excited to start learning in detail about the Revolutionary War this week. Talan excitedly brings home new papers ever day, is making new friends, and is loving every second of school besides the long day. Syphr has learned that when his brothers are at school he can play with whatever he wants without constantly having to have his guard up. There is much less pouting.













No comments:
Post a Comment