Sunday, June 14, 2009

Bec's Bloomz

A while back I was shopping for a new dress. I ran across this fantastic website that not only had great dresses, but also had a very unique accessory. Flowers made from zippers. Intrigued, I though surely there had to be a tutorial online for making these funky creations. After much searching and experimenting, I figured out not only how to make them, but how to make them different from any other zipper flower. Things fell into place, and I found a "zipper man" about an hour away. He is my new best friend. He's really nice, only a little creepy, refers to his own "shop" as a dungeon (which I totally agree. He has a little part of the basement of a tailor shop packed full of nothing but zippers. There is no sign to point out the massive amount of zippers, just a dark, damp cement stairwell and door with no windows. I will have to take a picture). I now visit my "zipper man" (stan) about once a month. 

Back to my creative outlet....Since first visiting the zipper dungeon I have made several flowers. Trying to perfect them. I finally feel like I am good at making them, so over the weekend I opened up my shop on Etsy. Saturday, I got all my policies in order, but I had to list at least one thing for sale. I decided on a very cute black headband with a big white zipper flower. I listed it Saturday afternoon and by Sunday morning it had sold. Woo! There are now five bloomz (as I like to call them) waiting to be fitted on the heads of little girls. 

So without further adieu, here is my new creative place:


3 comments:

Megan said...

Yay! I am addicted to Etsy, so its nice when someone I know opens a shop there! Good luck, I LOVE the zipper flowers! And please do post pictures of the dungeon!

shamers said...

awesome! we already have customers lined up from you who have seen the samples you sent. how many of them can i keep? :)

Julie said...

Shut up! WAY to go! You are awesome