Ashton actually had 3 birthdays this year. He had a three month early birthday present when we switched phone companies and he was graced with an iPhone. Then when Brad was here we had his fake birthday so we could celebrate this big year all together. And now, the real deal.
And so I sit here, with these realizations:
- In 8 years Ashton will be heading off for a mission or college.
- In 6 years he can date
- In 5 years he is going to start learning to drive
- In 1 year we will be well in the middle of preteen status.
- He is to the point now where I can't really teach him much more. I can be an example to him, but he's needs to start making his own choices, and making his own mistakes.
I believe the next decade will be quite the ride, and quite the learning curve for both of us. But I'm sure I will have a lot more to say about that as the years pass.
As for now, where it all began, here is how we started our day:
I was waiting in the hall for at least 30 minutes for Ashton to finish doing ninja moves and talking to himself before he actually opened the door.
Then he came downstairs after many more ninja moves, and trying out spells that were supposed to do things like brush his teeth for him. They didn't work.
| He was greeted with an omelet, and bacon in the shape of a 10. How this boy loves his bacon! |
After clues we ditched the small boys and found Ashton some of the best shrimp in town. If it isn't bacon he is constantly asking for, it is shrimp.
| Pre shrimp |
| Post shrimp coma |
After the small boys went to bed I sat down with Ashton and did a birthday interview. I was going to ask him the questions and type them in this blog, but I can't write his cleverness and sarcasm. So, this year we did a video, and this video is just so classically Ashton. Coming in at just under 20 minutes, I won't hold it against you if you skip out early. (except you grandparents. You must endure until the end.)
I love his sarcasm. I love his whit. I love that he is a science geek and would probably think a pocket protector is awesome and would most likely start wearing shirts with pockets just to accommodate the pocket protector. I love that he is such a great big brother. I love that he loves to help. I love that he is trustworthy. I love that he is responsible.....90% of the time. I love how clever he is. I love that I can have a normal conversation with him. I love that he loves school. I love how excited he gets about Harry Potter. I love how that most of the time he does chores without a complaint. I love how particular he is about what he wears, yet hardly ever matches. I love that he loves to read. I love that he doesn't care too much about girls yet. I love that he is so smart. I love that he can make his own breakfast. I love he plays the sax. I love that he loves to play the sax. How lucky are we that this kid is ours.
1 comment:
can't believe he is already 10! love those shrimp photos!
Post a Comment