Fast forward to when I am actually counting on my knees to take me 13.1 miles.
Within a week and a half of training I ended up with a swollen knee and a nagging feeling that I better get it checked out. The doctor sent me to an orthopedic surgeon with an x-ray and a note that said, 'classic medial meniscus tear'. The meniscus acts like a cushion between the knee joints. After confirming I had no broken bones in my knee I headed for an MRI to see exactly what we were working with and how much damage had been done.
Today was my follow up for said MRI. I am not pleased.
Not only am I AWESOME at medial meniscus tearing, but I am super great at horizontal tearing a meniscus which happens to be the only kind of tear which can not be repaired, and only gets worse through the years. Go me!!
When I get around to it (a.k.a. after I stop feeling sorry for myself)I will call and schedule surgery where the doctors will go in and see how deep the tear is, and hopefully scrape out just the right amount of the damage so the tear is not causing a problem anymore but leaving enough of the meniscus behind so I have close to full mobility in that knee.
I'm sad to not only be banned running until further notice, but also to leave my running partner solo, but I know she will do great anyways. I'm hoping to be fully recovered and have another chance at my 13.1 mile challenge by the end of the year. Hopefully before the world ends in December.
2 comments:
You can cheer me on... cause heaven knows I will need it. ... esp. after I was dying after 4 miles today!
Oh no! I could tell you had a feeling something was wrong. So sorry.
Julie wants to do this 5k in September. If you are healed by then, that would be a good race to take it easy then.
Post a Comment