I remember how he used to let us stay home from school one day every year for our birthday to do something fun. My most memorable was when he snuck us into the Disneyland hotel to go swimming. It was a great day.
I remember going far out into the ocean where I couldn't touch the sand and waiting for waves to head our way so I could yell, "jump daddy" and he would throw me up in the air as the wave passed.
I remember the time he went deep sea fishing and brought home a baby octopus that didn't survive in our kiddie pool very long. I was terrified of it.
I remember how much fun he was to play with when I was small. How many dads would get in a dog house and let their child spray them in the face with the hose. He really was my favorite person.
I remember trips to Disneyland. How fast the tea cups spun, how I always wanted to ride with him, and how he always let me drive.
How much does he look like Ashton here!? I think this picture is from when he was nine also.
I also remember how much Ashton loved being around him. They loved to fish in the creek, drive the golf cart, and just be crazy. Even antisocial 10 month old Talan went right to him without hesitation, and after only meeting him for the first time at 4 months old.
I remember his voice on his cell phone voicemail message, which I play in my head often, so I don't forget his voice.I remember how he never once looked down on me for being pregnant at 18.
I remember him singing every time I hear the song, The River, by Garth Brooks.
I remember how he told the best stories, and always had a joke.
I remember the smell of stale coffee and cigarettes which used to be gross, but now holds a special place in my heart.
I'm happy he was my dad, and will cherish the memories he left me so that I might pass them on to my own kids.







3 comments:
Your Dad was a very special guy your tribute here was wonderful
This was such a beautiful post and the picture of your dad at nine honestly looked like a retro Ashton...amazing! Thanks for sharing, it sounds like he was a wonderful father and wonderful guy.
love this post. love you. sounds like you are finding some peace. :)
Post a Comment