Saturday, May 7, 2011

Ashton is 9

The last year Ashton will ever be a single digit! And half way to heading off to college, which could be happy or sad depending on the day I have had. We celebrated the beginning of his last single digit year in style this year. It isn't often I have time during the day to spend with only Ashton, but this year I made sure to plan a big date for us. It was so fun just to hang out with him, without those attention sucking brothers. 

This year Ashton wanted to run a 5k which was put on by his school as a fundraiser and turned out to be today. I was hesitant, only because I was worried he would miss a turn and be lost forever (worry wart....i know.), but I was reassured that the course would be clearly marked off. He hardly had any training which puts both me and the weather at fault, but I'm so proud of his accomplishment today of his first official 5k race. Only 6 more years to train for the Army 10 miler.

He clocked in at 31 minutes with a bright red face and a sweat soaked shirt. As he rounded the last corner, and saw the finish line full of people cheering, his pace picked up and he used his last burst of energy to throw up his hands and shout, 

"I SURVIVED!!"












After the 5k we headed on our date which I have no pictures of sadly, but sort of not so sadly. I was able to have a fantastic time with my favorite 9 year old on the planet. Sometimes it takes away from the quality time when there is always a camera in the way.

We had lunch at Red Robin (where apparently now they require you to wear two balloons on your head while they sing), we painted ceramics at Potwin Pottery, shopped for a new/first suit (totally his request. I don't think he understands that summer is not the time you want to wear a suit), and we went to see Diary Of a Wimpy Kid. 

After our date we celebrated with the rest of the family, but instead of cake Ashton requested Krispy Kreme donuts. YUM!




 Then we had dinner at El Mezcal which means Ashton wore a super awesome sombrero which has been on the head of who even knows how many people, and he ate his first sopapilla.
Seriously can't say enough about this kid. Even though at times he has dramatic outbursts that very much resemble something you would expect to see from a 16 year old girl, he really is a great kid. He is helpful, responsible, smart, funny, handsome, and the list goes on. I have a feeling 9 is going to be great.








Likes:
  • video games of any sort, but mostly everything Mario.
  • Science.  Bill Nye is going to have some competition soon. Currently he is absorbing any information about global warming and planets. 
  • Food. The more unhealthy the better. Wouldn't it be great to have the metabolism of a 9 year old boy? 
  • Reading. He mostly reads mystery or action books, but also loves a good comic book or anything from the Choose Your Own Adventure or Goosebumps series. 
  • Numbers. He loves and does great in math which is relieving for me because that is a subject I would not be great help to him in. 
  • Independence. Its hard (mostly for me...well....pretty much its all me) to transition into letting him roam the neighborhood with friends. I have a constant worry of him being stolen, which means I am "that mother" who calls and texts almost every 5 minutes to see if everything is okay. It always is fine, and luckily Ashton isn't too annoyed with me yet. 
  • Netflix. Currently his favorites are: Mythbusters, Man vs Wild, National Geographic documentaries and Phineas and Ferb. 
  • Playing with his brothers. Ashton loves playing 'bad guys' with Tal, or catch with Syphr. Seriously the best big brother ever!


Dislikes:
  • Chores, but really...who likes them? 
  • Talan's constant need to annoy his brothers. 
  • Mushrooms and sour cream
  • going to get dressed, only to find out he has no clean shorts, which turns out to be my fault. I've declared age 9 a perfect age to learn to do his own laundry.


Talents:
  • Running. He won't be a sprinter, but I can see him turning into a great distance runner...just like Brad.
  • Sarcasm. Love 9 year old sarcasm.
  • Memorizing. 



1 comment:

Karolyn said...

Happy Birthday Ashton! Rebecca-seriously an awesome birthday! Can you come plan mine next year? :)

I am so impressed with his 31 minute 5k! WOW!