Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Hyper-sensitive strikes again!

I can't believe it's only Wednesday. Here is a recap of my week so far...

Sunday:
Talan claws at his scalp until it bleeds, and rubs his eye until it is swollen almost shut. 
--I thought Dr. Mante said he couldn't have seasonal allergies until he was at least 2. Take that Dr. Mante

Monday:
Eye is still swollen and Tal is now wheezing. Because of his eczema he was high risk for food allergies, and because of his food allergies he is high risk for asthma. So wheezing is no good. I called the Dr. and practically begged for a same day appointment. After a breathing treatment, and a q-tip shoved all the way up into his nose cavity, he was diagnosed with RSV. In case you don't know what fun RSV is, let me tell you. He could wheeze for 4 weeks, it is highly contagious, and there is no cure. It just has to run its course, with the help of a nebulizer 3 times a day. 
--So, yay for no asthma, and boo for something that sounds exactly like a 4 week asthma attack.

Tuesday:
Tal and I spend the day cut off from civilization. Since he has new age Leprosy. And I try to track down the snot-nosed little kid who gave him this "disease" 
--Good news: Wheezing is gone.

Wednesday: 
The day starts of with new wheezing and coughing up two lungs at once. I called the Dr. and asked if I should take him to the ER. After 40 minutes of no answer and Tal struggling to breathe we packed up shop and headed for the hospital. There was no waiting for a room or a doctor. Apparently everyone wants to look at, but no one wants to sit in the waiting room with a diseased kid. Tal got a breathing treatment, this time with a mask, chest x-ray, steroids and Tylenol. The steroids and continued breathing treatments will help with the inflammation in his chest making him breathe easier. 

Now we're home and Tal has to take so many meds I'm actually going to make a spreadsheet. 

Nebulizer every 4 hours
Claritin every morning
Benadryl every 4 hours
Alternate Tylenol and Motrin every 2 hours
Liquid steroid every 6 hours
Back to the doctor in 2 weeks. 

Things that made the doctor and ER trip worth it:

Sometimes I forget I live in Kansas and there is a certain lack of professionalism. Here are my two, "did that just happen?" moments:

1. On Monday while at the Dr., I was holding Tal down, the nurse had the nebulizer shoved in his face and Tal was screaming like he was having a slow painful death. I was trying to talk to him and calm him down, which wasn't working much, so the nurse thought she'd give it a try. She holds up the nebulizer, and shows Talan the medicine smoke coming out of it. After that it all went down hill because she opened her mouth. 

"Look, it looks like cigarette smoke. Are you smoking a peace pipe? Like a little Indian."

Talan wants no peace with that "peace pipe" or anything that makes him have to sit still. 

2. Before I say this, I just have to mention, we have been watching alot of The Office lately where this is said multiple times every episode, which is mostly why it's funny. 

The ER brought us a student doctor. Every question I asked, he had to go ask his supervising doctor. When I had asked about medicine for Tal's cough and he came back to say that the supervising doctor said according to the board of pediatrics, something or other, cough medicine is useless. 

I replied- "So there is nothing I can give him that will help him with coughing at night?"
Newbie--"That's what she said."


Hopefully by April 23rd we will be able to enter civilization once again.

5 comments:

Megan said...

Haha...I like your Office references. Poor kid! Tal reminds me of one of my little brothers. I remember getting to drive at 14 because my Mom was riding in the ambulance with Jake and I had to take the care back. Think of it as creating fun (and hopefully not stressful) memories for your kids!

TanyaKaye said...

Love it! It has been a crazy week. I know how he feels with the wheezing!

M said...

Aaaah! I feel so sad for the poor little guy - and for you. I'm so sorry about your awful week, but I have got to admit, not a day goes by without a "that's what she said," in our house ;-).

shamers said...

YIKES! I hope he's taking the nebulizer better now -- it is certainly a pain. And watch out for the 'roids. They're killer. I had to take them last month for bronchitis and I felt so bad for ever giving them to my kid -- they really jack your system up. I couldn't sleep the whole week, and she's always a hyper mess when she's on them. Not to be a downer or anything.... :)

Valerie said...

It's got to be awful staying inside with a sick little one. That RSV stuff is like a super bug.