Friday, January 30, 2009

Happy Birthday Kansas!

Since yesterday was Brad's last day to hang out with us for a while we decided to let Ashton ditch school, and we had a very fun family day. It just so happened that it was also Kansas' birthday. Happy 148th Kansas! The Kansas History Museum opened it's doors for free to the public to celebrate the birthday's of both Kansas and Abraham Lincoln. 

We started our family day there. They had tons of hands on activities which were geared towards kids. Ashton did basket weaving, sewing, knitting, voting, coloring, gluing, birthday card making, and of course, picture taking. 










Abraham Lincoln brought to life!















After we had done all there was to do at the museum we asked Ashton if he wanted to pick somewhere to have lunch. As always, he picked McDonalds. Mostly because he had recently seen a commercial for a double cheeseburger value meal. I think he's about to have a growth spurt. He inhaled his double cheeseburger, fries and chocolate shake then took his brother on the play gym. This was the first time Talan was really big enough to play on the big kid stuff. Ashton watched him very closely, and Talan was so nervous he went backwards through all the tubes, but the first time he went down the slide he was hooked. When he reached the bottom of the slide he started screaming. I didn't know if he was scared or hurt. I pulled him out of the slide the rest of the way and he took off running as fast as his legs would go. Running and screaming. He ran around the tables to the other side of the play place, stopped and ran back. Turns out he was looking for the stairs to get back to the tubes and slides. 
After McDonald's the 2 big boys got haircuts, followed by Talan's first movie. We saw Madagascar 2 because if Talan didn't like it I was only out $2. He loved it so much he fell asleep, but not until he was done eating popcorn. 




2 comments:

Julie said...

ok that Abraham Lincoln shot of Ashton is about the cutest thing i have ever seen and i can't think of a better reason to skip school!

M said...

What a fun day. I am so glad you got some time with Brad.
I burst out laughing when I saw the Lincoln shot with Talan in it. Hilarious.