Friday, July 25, 2008

4 days down!!!

4 days closer to Brad coming home!!!

We are officially in Kansas after spending 23 hours in the car. Last monday we picked up Brad's sister at BWI because she insisted she drive back with me. I'm so glad she did! It was a sanity-saver and I was having so much fun that I didn't have time to stop and think about the fact that I just left my husband in New Jersey and wont see him for 15 months. We arrived in New Jersey Monday evening and Brad met up with his unit. They let him go have dinner with us before the goodbyes.

I can't say any specifics, but Brad is in western Iraq at a very large base. He is going to be controlling air traffic which he doesn't so much know how to do. It will be fun for him though and great experience. His sister and I googled his future location on the way back to KS and I realized that he just might not want to come home! 2 swimming pools, steak and lobster thursday. what could be better? well...maybe being wth your family but if there is a second better it is 2 swimming pools and steak and lobster thursday.

Ashton did surprisingly well with the goodbye. He's a tough kid. I guess he has to be if he is planning to be a marine. Today was hard on him. He had a few breakdowns. It will get better, but right now we are in the adjustment phase and its the hardest. After a month or so time will start flying by and he'll be home. October 2009 just seems really far away though.

On another note....

Talan walked!!! He took 6 steps because he really wanted that plastic Dora the Explorer doll. It was so sweet because he looked at his feet like he just realized what they were for. He now takes a step then stares at everyone in the room until you start clapping for him. He is geting to be a big guy!

6 comments:

Valerie said...

I'm glad you're trip went so well. You are so brave and strong! I couldn't imagine being away from Rob for that long.
Sophia is close to walking also, she took about 5 steps the other day.

M said...

Of course after you leave us Talan starts walking.
It sounds like it's going to be pretty cushy for Brad over there in Iraq. You know I'm kidding. I'm so sad for poor Ashton. You are such a good mom, though. You'll help him get through this.

shamers said...

i'm so glad to hear you sound kind of upbeat and optimistic about what's ahead. we love you and the boys and we're always thinking of you!

oh, and my mom wants in on the blog -- i told her she should have commented, and now i'm going to make her email you herself. so get ready for that! :)

Julie said...

how is he walking already? that is crazy talk! We miss you guys already!

Outnumbered said...

well, brad just left so he had to walk. ashton walked right after he left the first time.

Chelsea said...

Oh my goodness, I can't believe Talan is walking! I also can't believe Brad is gone for 15 months. Most of all, I can't believe you're gone =( At least we have our blogs to keep us going!