Tuesday, April 3, 2012

April fools

At the risk of sounding like the worst parent ever I am going to admit, I really love that one day a year where it is okay to make your kids cry. Okay, that sounds pretty awful, but here is how I see it. I listen to whining, mocking, fighting, crying, talking back every day of the year. I've earned the right to trick Talan out of donuts that he had been waiting to eat for over 12 hours, or to fill the toothpaste with green tinted mustard. And it is surprising how accomplished I feel after pulling off a well thought out prank. 








 I still don't understand Ashton. After a morning of knowing it was April Fools day, knowing I was coming for him at some point, noticing his toothbrush looked a little different (I had put food coloring on it, but alas he noticed and got a new one.), I thought as he said, "this toothpaste smells like pickled relish." he would have figured it out. I couldn't even stand near him because I couldn't fight the laughter from this kid who seemed to be un-prankable. For sure he was going to ask if his odd smelling toothpaste was an april fools joke. Instead he threw caution to the wind and started brushing. Moments later, with huge eyes and very shallow breathing, he realized he was brushing his teeth with an unknown substance that was for sure not toothpaste. He hates mustard.



I thought I was getting off scott free. Then we went to the park, and a friend of ours told Ashton he needed to step his game up. He could not let a mom win the prank war. So that is what he did with a roll of duck tape in hand. That is my kind of kid. 


At the end of the day, I would like to say I won, but I have no idea. There was an ongoing prank extravaganza in our house. Ashton's best prank of the day was waiting until the evening hours rolled around, and I was tired, and done with the day, to start his seemingly never ending run of April Fools Fun. 

He did get the last word as he left his phone outside my bedroom door with an extremely annoying alarm set to go off at 1030.  Nice one kid....nice one.



No comments: