Sunday, April 18, 2010

Leavin on a jet plane



As of a couple hours ago our growing family is moving on to the next chapter in our lives. Brad has boarded a plane heading to Washington DC to resume his life at the Pentagon in the morning. He will be once again working in the Army Operations Center. I have a very basic and general knowledge of what he does there for 12-14 hours a day, or night, but I know that he is safe and that is good enough for me. Frankly, I'd rather not know what he has to deal with there.

One thing we have found though is as much as our family has had to say goodbye and be apart it absolutely never gets easier. Whether it is for one month or fifteen. It is especially hard when little Talan is clinging to Brad's neck saying, "stay here dad." But we are proud of what he is doing, and we know the worst part is now over. And I'm thankful that we have great kids who are adaptable to our ever changing situation even though I know it is hard on them.

Below I thought I would answer two questions that I get asked a lot, so maybe I won't have to answer quite so often:

--Brad will be back for the baby to be born. He is coming home May 23rd then May 24th is baby day. After we will have about a week and a half here before we load our family of five into good old Chappie and drive to Virginia where we will spend the summer in Brad's cramped little apartment most likely enjoying every second of it. I'm really excited to be taking Ashton to all the sights now that he is learning about presidents at school. He wasn't quite big enough to appreciate everything last time.

--The kids and I are planning to live in Kansas until Brad finds a more permanent job. Due to some people taking advantage of the government and pocketing a large chunk of change which they were claiming to pay in rent the government is no longer providing funds for soldiers to find their own housing. Instead they have contracted with several apartments in the area to provide the incoming soldiers with a fully furnished 1 bedroom apartment. They only have to provide 1 bedroom since this deployment is unaccompanied, meaning no family tag alongs. Brad will be able to fly home about once a month, and we will fly his way for all lengthy school vacations. In the in between times, we can call, text, webcam, email, and chat to our hearts content.

So, this is what is happening with our family these days. Never a dull moment. :)

2 comments:

Julie said...

So does this mean a summer full of trips to Unique? I am so excited you guys will be here!

Outnumbered said...

Most definitely! I can't wait! I miss that place entirely too much. I'm excited to come back too.